WHAT IS IT?
Cosmetic acupuncture, otherwise known as Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture, is a branch of traditional acupuncture with a special focus on the health and appearance of skin. It involves a holistic approach by using clinical assessment to determine a constitutional acupuncture diagnosis to address the underlying factors in skin health. Very fine needles are inserted in the face along with synergistic points on the body corresponding with energy channels that help support the body’s life force, known as Qi.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- Minimizes appearance of fine lines
- Increases collagen production
- Improves muscle tone
- Helps reduces dark circles
- Helps reduce puffiness
- Improves elasticity of skin
- Brightens skin complexion
- Improves hormonal balance
- Tightens the pores
HOW DOES IT WORK?
From a western medicine perspective, introducing a foreign object into the body stimulates an immune response in that localized area. However, there is so much more to acupuncture than inserting a needle at a particular point. Studies have shown that needle manipulation can initiate a mechanical signal to connective tissue cells inducing a chemical response. This process helps explain the local as well as long-term effects of acupuncture. Facial acupuncture increase circulation to the face, moves energy along the acupuncture meridians and brings attention to areas that need a little more TLC.
WHAT ARE THE TREATMENTS LIKE?
The treatments are both preventative & corrective, by boosting collagen and increasing circulation for a more glowing and youthful complexion. A total of 10-12 sessions are recommended for lasting results. Each session is 60-minutes in length and results are typically seen by the sixth or seventh treatment, but you may noticed marked improved after just one session. Treatments can be done weekly or twice a week for quicker results. Follow-up maintenance sessions are recommended. All treatments involve lymphatic drainage facial massage with a jade roller and the use of a specialized blend of oils to help nourish and replenish the skin.
Prior to your first treatment you will need to complete an intake form followed by a 15 minute consultation to determine your constitutional acupuncture diagnosis.
WHO IS IT FOR?
Anyone who wants beautiful skin!
- Pituitary disorders
- Heart disorders
- Diabetes mellitus
- High blood pressure
- Bleeding or bruising disorders
- Migraine headaches
- During cold or flu
- Acute herpes outbreak
For optimal life-long results, I recommend adding in dietary and lifestyle changes that can be discussed in a separate visit as adjunct therapy.
Dr. Arezou Babri, ND
1. Langevin, H. M., Churchill, D. L., Cipolla, M. J. Mechanical signaling through connective tissue: a mechanism for the therapeutic effect of acupuncture. 2001.
2. Younghee, Y., Sehyun K., et al. Effect of Facial Cosmetic Acupuncture on Facial Elasticity: An Open-Label, Single-Arm Pilot Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013.
3. B. Pomeranz Acupuncture analgesia—basic research G. Stux, R. Hammerschlag (Eds.), Clinical Acupuncture, Scientific Basis, Springer, Berlin (2000), pp. 1-28